Ponte wear is meant for work outs only– this is a myth that needs busting, and quick because if you’re not wearing ponte garments thinking they only belong in the gym, you’re missing out on the biggest trend of the season. In the last couple of years, and even today, ponte garments have been spotted on the runway, and for good reason. Ponte and similar knits define the “sports chic”, “sports luxe” and “athliesure” trend. What is ponte and why is it fashionable?
Ponte is a stretch knitwear fabric constructed from Rayon, Polyester and knitting spandex yarn.
While the Rayon and Polyester yarns add definition and structure to the fabric, what makes ponte just enough stretchable to give you the comfort a stiff fabric made of those two can’t offer, is the Knitting Spandex Yarn. The ponte pants, skirts or even shirts that you wear will give you the freedom to move and appear stylish at the same time– that’s the concept behind “sports chic”, “sports luxe” and “athliesure”. Our lives are fast and mobile. Why should the clothing be any different?
Apart from the blend of the Knitting Spandex Yarn with Rayon and Polyester yarns, it is also the knit that makes ponte fabric maintain its shape (recovery from the stretch when you’ve put on or shed a little weight), the fabric will mould itself to the curves of your body and even act as a tucker in the places where it is required.
Still think ponte is only for workouts?
When summer strikes with its scorching heat, we find refuge in everything that’s cool or breezy. The hot weather makes us to shed anything that feels uncomfortable, be it the spicy and oily food or the heavy clothing. Generally, people like to wear something that is comfortable and light . If you don’t have enough dresses for summer or in need of more, then here’s a little help. We’ll help you make your own summer dresses following a few simple steps at home that will make you look like a fashion goddess.
1. White short sleeved blouse
- Take around 1.5 yards of Cotton Stretch Yarn
- Take a top that fits you well and trace it on the fabric. The fabric should be folded from the middle in a way that both front and back can be traced and cut in one go. Keep two inches of extra cloth on all sides while cutting.
- Cut the fabric and make sure that the sleeves are a few inches longer than the traced ones.
- Sew the top from its sides and the shoulder seams.
- Hem the bottom, neckline and sleeves 1/4″ and then another 1/4″.
- Gather the sleeves from their bottom side towards the shoulder seam line.
- Pair it up with your favorite pair of jeans, along with a hat for the dreamy look.
2. Peter Pan Collar Top
- Take 2 yards of cotton stretch yarnfabric in the color or print of your choice.
- Trace one of your boxy top onto the fabric.
- Cut the front piece.
- While you cut out the back side of the top, it must be in two pieces, with an extra inch in the center. This extra space can be used to fix buttons or zipper.
- Fold that extra one inch of cloth in the middle and iron it down. Now, the back side will be of the same width as your front piece.
- Now, sew the sides, the shoulder seams and the right sides together, with the outside fabric touching.
- It’s time to add add a zipper or buttons by sewing up the middle seam.
- Now, trace out a peter pan collar on a piece of paper and when you think it’s perfect, then trace it out directly on the edge of the top’s neckline.
- Sew 2 of the collar pieces together and the other side as well and leave the neckline side open.
- Pin the front side of the collar and the inner or wrong side of the neckline to the outside of the shirt’s neckline.
- Sew the top edges.
- Flip the facing’s inner side towards inside and top.
- Stitch the neckline’s edges to the facing while the collar is flipped up.
- Now, flip the collar down and iron.
- Cut out the sleeves by tracing out them from any of your old top.
- Fold each in half with their right sides together. Sew them like a tube and hem.
- Attach the sleeves at the sides while the shirt is inside out. Hem the bottom.
- Iron and it’s done!
- Wear it with a pencil skirt or with a pair of your favorite jeans or straight pants.